Parish News November 3, 2017
- 42 million people living in the US – about 1 in 8 of us – are foreign-born.
- Of those, 18 million are naturalized citizens; 13 million are legal non-citizens; 11 million are unauthorized immigrants.
- About 2/3 of illegal immigrants have lived in the US for more than a decade.
- 4 million illegal immigrants have US born children; more than 30% own their own homes.
- The US Border patrol reported 6,915 deaths of migrants in the deserts along the border over the past 20 years. They estimate the actual total may be closer to 10,000.
We will celebrate All Souls Day at at the weekend services on November 4th and 5th. To honor the memory of your loved ones, before the service you are invited to bring memorabilia or photographs to place on a special altar we will have prepared at the front of the church. Contact Chris McNamara.
Women of SMM! Please join us for a Women’s Treat Day on Sunday November 5th from 11:30am to 4:30pm at the church. This gathering will be in lieu of the annual Women’s Retreat and is being done in abbreviated form in hopes of making it accessible to more of the women in our community. The focus of the day will be to develop and strengthen relationships and connection among one another while also receiving nourishment and nurture as we enter this colder season. Starting with high tea after the 10am service, we will follow with a simple and tangible art offering, and then a session on the mind/body/spirit connection led by the Rev. Sally Bowersox, Episcopal priest and founder of the St. Benedict Health and Healing Ministry. There is no cost to the day and free child care will be provided upon request. RSVP online or use the sign up sheet on the table near the parking lot entrance. We hope you will join us! Contact Courtney Gambrell.
UPCOMING AT AND AROUND ST. MARY MAGDALENE
(click on event title links for details)
- Contemplative All Saints Eucharist, Saturday, November 4, 5:00pm
- All Saints Day, Sunday, November 5, 8:00am (no music) and 10:00am
- Forum: Caring for the Stranger: Immigrants, Refugees…, Sunday November 5, 9:00am
- Women’s Treat Day, Sunday, November 5, 11:30am
- Readings and Reflections, Monday November 6, 5:30pm
- Centering Prayer, Tuesday, November 7, 9:15am
- Staff Meeting, Tuesday November 7, 5:00pm
- Worship Advisory Team Meeting, Tuesday November 7, 6:00pm
- CYF Ministries Meeting, Tuesday November 7, 6:30pm
- Men’s Discussion Group, Wednesday, November 8, 9:00am
- Thursday Bible Study, Thursday, November 9, 1:30pm
- SMM Book Club, Friday November 10, 7:00pm
- Contemplative Eucharist, Saturday November 11, 5:00pm
- Sunday Worship Services, Sunday November 12, 8:00am(no music) and 10:00am
- Forum: Caring for the Stranger: Immigrants, Refugees…, Sunday November 12, 9:00am
SMM Book Club
Would you like to bake communion bread? The recipe is simple – making and baking takes about a half hour on Friday evening or early Saturday morning. Deliver the bread to the church before 10:00 am Saturday. It is nice too if you present it at the offertory on Sunday morning, but not necessary. This is a wonderful expression of service and care for your church family! Find the recipe here! Contact Janet Poley to volunteer.
CONNECT WITH SAINT MARY MAGDALENE
Priest in Charge: The Rev. Bruce Swinehart, firstname.lastname@example.org
Children and Youth: Sue Crowley, email@example.com
Music Director: Matt Witherow, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Administrator: Brian Gates, email@example.com
Sr. Warden: Sarah Delaney, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jr. Warden: Jeff Cantrell, email@example.com
Sundays 8:00am & 10:00am
Priest in Charge Hours
Sun Afternoon-Mon – Sabbath
Tues-Thur – Office Hours
Fri-Sat – by appointment